15 December 1980
|Alma mater||Hainan University,|
Beijing Film Academy
|My Old Classmate,|
The Wandering Earth
Frant Gwo (Chinese: 郭帆; pinyin: Guō Fān; born 15 December 1980) is a Chinese filmmaker. He debuted in 2011 with the film The Adventures of Li Xianji, and then directed the box-office hit My Old Classmate in 2014. In 2019, he directed China's first big-budget science fiction film, The Wandering Earth, which became the second highest-grossing film in China of all time.
Gwo was born as Guo Fan on 15 December 1980 in Jining, Shandong, China. He studied at Jining No. 13 Middle School and Jining No. 1 High School, before entering Hainan University in 1999 to study law. Instead of pursuing a legal career, however, he began working for the Asian Music Center program of China Travel Television in 2003. He later worked for Republic Culture Media Ltd. in Beijing. Beginning in 2001, he also spent much of his time creating manhua comics and graphic design.
In 2009, he entered Beijing Film Academy to study film management. The following year, he began making his first film, The Adventures of Li Xianji (李献计历险记), which was theatrically released in 2011. In 2014, his second feature film, My Old Classmate, was released. It was a box office hit, earning 470 million yuan in China and won multiple prizes including the Committee Special Award at the 21st Beijing College Student Film Festival.
In 2016, Gwo was chosen to direct The Wandering Earth, China's first big-budget science fiction film, based on a short story by the Hugo Award winner Liu Cixin. The film was released in China by China Film Group Corporation on 5 February 2019, the Chinese New Year's Day. It is a major box-office hit, earning 2 billion yuan (US$294.7 million) during the week-long national holiday. As of 17 February, it grossed over $600 million worldwide, largely from China, where it is the second highest-grossing film of all time. It is also the world's highest-grossing film of 2019 to date.
|Year||English title||Chinese title||Notes||Ref.|
|2011||The Adventures of Li Xianji||李献计历险记||Directorial debut|||
|2014||My Old Classmate||同桌的你|||
|2019||The Wandering Earth||流浪地球||Second highest-grossing film in China of all time|||
- "《同桌的你》电影导演郭帆 入选"新生代"导演". Qianlong (in Chinese). 14 November 2014. Retrieved 20 February 2019.
- Wang Zheng 王诤 (6 February 2019). "《流浪地球》导演郭帆的"理智与情感"". The Paper (in Chinese). Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- Robinson, Tasha (9 February 2019). "China's The Wandering Earth is rich, gorgeous, and goofy". The Verge. Retrieved 20 February 2019.
- "Chinese sci-fi blockbuster 'The Wandering Earth' catches audiences at home and abroad in its gravitational pull". Global Times. 13 February 2019. Retrieved 20 February 2019.
- Rubin, Rebecca (17 February 2019). "Box Office: 'Alita: Battle Angel' No Match for China's 'Wandering Earth' Overseas". Variety. Retrieved 17 February 2019.
- "Box Office: 'How To Train Your Dragon 3' Tops $170M, 'Wandering Earth' Tops $560M". Forbes. 17 February 2019. Retrieved 17 February 2019.
- Chilton, Louis (21 February 2019). "Netflix buys streaming rights to world's highest-grossing film of 2019 so far". The Independent. Retrieved 22 February 2019.